Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Around the World...and Back

Some of you may be wondering where I am, what I've been doing, if I'm even alive. I've always been pretty awful at keeping a journal. I'm a talker and somehow writing down my feelings never is as easy as just saying them. My mother once said I started talking early and never shut up. I'm sure those of you who know me can agree.

I started this blog as a travel blog - to share my adventures and stories with friends, family, and the occasional random visitor. However, I don't get to travel every day of my life, but my life is still an adventure, still vibrant. Over the past few months, I've really learned what vibrant means and what my vibrant world actually is.

Since my last blog post, I have been literally around the world...and back. I have traveled to 9 new countries, moved 2,000 miles away from home, graduated with my masters, broke up with the guy I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with, started a full time job, moved in with an almost total stranger, learned how to make homemade butter, and discovered how strong I really am on my own. It has been an exhausting, exciting, emotional, and enlightening adventure. There's a saying that goes, "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

I would be lying if I said this transition to my new life has been easy. How can I just keep the good and get rid of the bad? How can I become the person I know I'm meant to be? How can I pick up the pieces, and make sense of them again? I never realized what a fairytale life I had in college (because honestly, college is a fairytale) until I was thrown into this world of bills, grown up decisions, working late nights, maybe not even liking work, having to start all over in this big city, and feeling alone. Really, really, really alone. In college, I had best friends who would literally drive 2 hours to surprise me at my door on my birthday, friends who were always up for a late night movie or college pizza session, family that wasn't quite so far away, a million activities and "fun" responsibilities, and a future I thought was set in stone. It's amazing how quickly things can change.

I moved from the only home I've ever known - Florida - to the frozen tundra of the Midwest - Minneapolis, MN, said goodbye to everyone I've ever loved, lost the person I thought I'd love forever, had to begin waking up before the sun comes up on a consistent basis, and had to completely start my life from scratch. I had no friends, no connections, nothing. Talk about being outside of your comfort zone. I realized through this more about myself in a few weeks than I probably discovered in all of college. When you lose everything, you find out what you truly had all along. I found that I was surrounded by love. Deep, powerful, unconditional love of my friends and family. Not once did a friend complain when I wanted to talk for 5 hours and not once did my parents get upset when I asked for my space. I found that being blatantly honest with people instead of hiding my fear and discomfort made them like me even more. I won't lie, on many an occasion I have gone up to people and asked them to be my friend.

In college, I made sure I had it all together. I always thought not knowing what I wanted to do or not knowing what I'm even doing at that moment would make me look weak. Right now, I don't have it all together. There are areas of my life I have let slip through the cracks and it's ok to admit that. To yourself, to your loved ones, and even to the world.

Over the past few weeks as I've acclimated to this new city (and the horribly cold weather) and healed from all of my life changes, I've started defining how I can be more vibrant. How can I clean the dust off of my life and make myself shine? I'm learning how to create, live, experience, and nurture a vibrant life through my mind, body, spirit, home, heart, and world. From exercising more to enjoying the little things, from learning how to cook at home to connecting with my loved ones more, I'm striving to make every day a vibrant day.

They say life is a journey, not a destination. I believe life is an adventure, not a journey (sounds strenuous). I'm on this crazy, wonderful adventure and hope to share humor, lessons, tips, tricks, and lots of love through it all. I hope you'll join me. =)

Until next time, stay vibrant!

M

PS:
My summer before ending up in MN:

1 comment:

  1. Awesome share Miriam! I'm sure starting over is really hard. I'm at that point right now in my life where I am trying to figure out what I want to do and the next best step to take. Though I am uncertain, I'm not worried, I know God will direct me on the right path.

    Funny, I'm here in FL wishing for some cold! STILL shorts and sandals weather >:/ And you make a great point, having people who love you around you makes the whole world of difference.

    Best,

    Shaneel

    ReplyDelete