Thursday, May 19, 2011

What's Black, White, and Cute All-Over?

PANDAS!!!!

Today, we visited the Chengdu Panda Sanctuary and got to see, in person, pandas. For me, this was absolutely a dream come true. I grew up hearing the words extinction and the race to "save the pandas." Pandas were also one of those adorable animals every kid wanted to squeeze and I'm not afraid to say that I have spent hours on youtube watching adorable baby pandas. So, finding out that my group would be going to the official panda sanctuary was so exciting. I had seen videos on youtube also about people who got to play and sit with the pandas, which made me do my research. At the location I would be going to, the only option was to give a donation of 1000 RMB or, $150, to the sanctuary to take pictures with a panda on your lap. After all of my travels, I have learned one important thing: do NOT skimp on experiences. It's ok to go the cheaper route and stay in hostels, eat street vendor food, and travel second class...but never EVER give up the opportunity to do something that probably is once in a lifetime. Do you really need that overpriced pencil with a panda on top? Or, that set of coasters you think your mom might like? Or, the many useless souvenirs that most your friends and family will put on a shelf or in a drawer and forget about? The answers are all: no. Send your mom and dad a postcard and use that money to do something that you can remember with great pictures and great memories. This was one of them. I was all geared up with my make up done and my camera ready as we were hustled into the little area where they use your camera to take your picture with the panda. The panda is there munching on some bamboo that's been dipped into honey and the keepers just throw the panda on your lap and then swing him right off again probably less than a minute later. The panda I got to hold (and cuddle) was only 9 months old and chill as a cucumber. Later, my group decided they must drug the pandas a little so they don't freak out and don't get defensive, since this is a huge money-making venture for the sanctuary to be able to provide the best care for them. The panda was really floppy and kind of out of it. Hey, even pandas need a little Ambien or Xanax, I suppose! During the minute they give you, you have to decide if you want your picture to be of you staring at the panda or looking at the camera and you are just so excited and amazed it's happening you're smiling like a fool, rubbing his tummy, and holding him tight and realizing that's he's just as cuddly as you'd think! It was an amazing experience and I loved that my money was going right back to caring for these adorable and admirable creatures. Pandas have actually been around for 8 MILLION YEARS. Yeah, insane, right? Scientists believe they are important to understanding evolution and so it's very important to keep their species from extinction. Also, pandas have only and are only found in China, in just three regions. So, they are very special and unique animals. I was sad I didn't get to actually play with the panda, but there is hope! At the other sanctuary in China, you can donate money to get 5 minutes to play with a bunch of pandas in their own habitat. However, the cost is a whopping 5000 RMB or, $750. I say, screw a cruise, go for the pandas!

3 comments:

  1. So you want to go see pandas instead of our cruise this summer!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. could there be a way you could dress up IN a panda costume ON the cruise? eh? =)

    ReplyDelete